About Detroit PAL
The Detroit Police Athletic League is a private, nonprofit corporation that, in partnership with community volunteers and the Detroit Police Department, helps youth find their greatness through athletic and youth enrichment programs. The company is results-oriented, and driven by its values of Kids First, Strive for Excellence, Collaborative Environment and a Positive Work Environment.
- Work directly with the Director of Programs & Operations and with the Executive Leadership to support the needs and growth of Athletics & Youth Enrichment programs.
- Work with the Director of Program Administration to coordinate the Detroit PAL Internship program including hiring, onboarding, and supervising undergraduate college interns.
- Coordinate with First Tee of Greater Detroit for all programmatic and organizational needs to strengthen the partnership and grow the Detroit PAL golf program.
- Work together with Associate Athletic Directors to grow sports programs with responsibilities including facility acquisition, program marketing, youth recruitment, volunteer coordination, and event support.
- Work across the organization on multi-departmental projects.
Desirable Credentials, Skills and Traits
- Master’s student or recent graduate in Sports Management or Sports Administration.
- Exceptional project management skills.
- Strong Initiative.
- Ability to be work independently and in a team environment.
- Outstanding attention to detail and organization.
- Solid customer service skills.
- Passion for Sports and Athletic Programs.
- Ability to work well with internal and external customers.
- Proficiency with MS Office and Google Suite Applications.
- High standards for excellence in execution.
General Internship Objectives
- Understand the goals and objectives of the Detroit PAL and the projects being conducted by program and administration staff.
- Gain a better understanding of the uniqueness of running youth development programs in an urban environment.
- Develop skillsets for running athletics programs including development, operations and evaluation.
- Learn more about non-profits including community and corporate collaborations.
- Develop an understanding of how programs and fundraising work together at a non-profit.